[DeTomaso] Tire and wheel sizes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 15:38:37 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/24/09 6:40:12 AM, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> Question is, 1" vs 7/8" ?   Suggestions, recommendations?

The real question is, front or rear bar? I found that a 1" antisway bar in
back often doesn't work as well as a 7/8" one, because the mounts on the end of
the subframe are simply too wimpy to absorb the torque from a 1" SOLID bar.
Beef up the mounting area, and a thicker 1" bar will work. I currently use a
7/8" hollow front bar and a 1" hollow rear bar on our '72 L with stock rear
mounts. Hollow bars are about 18% weaker than a corresponding solid bar, and are
about 50% lighter. I also strongly advise NOT using poly bushings on the
outboard ends of any 1" bars. These bars are stiff enough to break the welded bar
mounts on both the a-arms and on the frame. For best results, use sphere-ball
outer mounts. There are a number of articles written in the POCA Newsletter in
recent years on suspension work you can do at home including changing swaybars,
starting in mid- 07 thru the current date. Look at your back issues. Good
luck- J Deryke