[DeTomaso] rusting issues

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 16:18:00 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/23/09 7:42:12 AM, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> I am getting rust on most of the nuts and bolts on my car, including all
> the ARP studs and black annodized hex head bolts. I live in Texas so there are
> no issues with salt or anything like that. Could there be an
> electrical problem that could be causing it? The battery seems to need  charging all the
> time.

There MUST be some excess moisture in your area for corrosion to show up. One
way to check for ground loops and electronic corrosion is to open the cap of
your radiator surge tank and with a GOOD VOM set on 0-100 milliamp range,
stick the probe in the liquid while grounding the other probe. If the meter reads
above 70 milli-amps, there's a bad ground or poor connection somewhere in the
system. By repeating the test while progressively pulling fuses, you'll at
least be able to locate the circuit thats giving trouble. This should narrow down
the search for your troublesome ciruit considerably.
The test will not work with a cheap Radio Shack VOM; the meter must be able
to read low milliamps consistently. FWIW, this test is routinely run by good
Corvette shops to determine if their cars need better grounds (being fiberglas,
they have much the same grounding issues we do), or need a sacrificial
magnesium or zinc anode in the cooling system to keep their mostly-aluminum motors
from dissolving! For reference, our Pantera gave only 30 milliamps reading with
our local tap water. The % antifreeze you run seems not to affect the
readings. Good luck- trouble shooting the electrics is the least fun on these cars!
J Deryke