[DeTomaso] Gauge panel question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 14:36:11 EST 2009

Hi guys,

I've got a question somewhat related to our gauge panel discussion.   When my
car still had its original two-pod dash, the instrument panel was a piece of
bent metal with a chrome strip running around the outside edge, covered in
naugahyde.   When I switched over to the L-model interior, I was able to source
all the parts from various sources (used) except for the gauge panel, which I
had to buy new from Wilkinson.

He supplied what was purported be an NOS panel, and I was surprised to
discover that it was made of plastic, flash-chromed around the edge, and covered
with naugahyde.   I assumed that this was just part of Ford's effort to cheapen
the car, and that all single-pod dash cars came with a similar plastic panel
for the gauges.   (Which obviously compounds the gauge grounding problem)

Just today Chris Difani offhandedly mentioned that both of his
single-pod-dash cars had metal instrument panels.   So the question before the court is:

For those of you who have single-pod dashboards, what is your gauge panel
made of?   Could it be that mine is post-Ford spec, i.e. GT5/GT5-S?   Do they
have plastic panels, but original L-models have metal?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!