[DeTomaso] headlights vs temp guage

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 21:55:49 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/20/09 18 01 3, peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Is there any reason my temp guage should read 25 degrees higher when my
> lights are on? I am quite sure my headlights do generate enough heat to the
> radiator. Thoughts?

If you look, you'll see your other gauges are jumping too--fuel quantity and
oil pressure.   Mine do the same thing, and it's quite annoying.

Electricity is all PFM to me, but I believe the issue has to do with
inadequate grounding of the gauge illumination circuit.   In my car, the gauges jump
when the first position (parking lights) are selected also.

In the short term, I am just keeping it in mind and adding a mental
correction factor whenever the lights are on.   In the longer term, I'm hoping I can
sic an Electrical Guru on it.

I have a sneaking feeling they're going to tell me to do something I really
don't want to have to do--reach under the car and clean/improve the grounding
at the stud that's buried somewhere under the dash.   Groan.