[DeTomaso] Dumb techno question: Earl's Fuel Filters

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri Feb 20 20:30:27 EST 2009

Dear Guys,

           It is timely that with all the near catastrophes of gas on the floor garage stories, I currently spilling my share of it.

           The Pantera died on me under uphill acceleration.  I coasted to a safe stop and waited one impatient minute and it quickly fired right back up and ran fine at street speeds on the short drive home.   I knew that I had unknowingly "fermented" some gas in the tank over the last three years, but it had been drained after it was discovered.   Some of the "vintage" gas, about a gallon or two did get run through the engine.    Now, I think I have gummed up my Earl's Fuel Filter.

            I have disassembled the fuel filter and it is filled with gummy tar like schmutz.   The golden porous internal filter element "looks" OK.

           The dumb techno question: Is it a good idea to simply run the parts through the parts cleaner and re-assemble?     Is it a better idea to buy a new Earl's Fuel Filter?

                      Fuelishly yours,  Chuck Engles