[DeTomaso] Private do not post - So you like stories - Mike Drew in Saudi Arabia

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 13:36:20 EST 2009

Reminds me of the time Mike "Mikey" Drew, USAF,  came to Saudi Arabia for one of his infamous 'layovers'.....and excuse me if you have already heard this story.

I get this call from then Lt. (butter bar) Mikey while I was in Riyadh Saudi Arabia during the last Gulf War....You know the call you get from Mikey where he talks about what is going on in the Pantera world, what the vendors are doing, his progress on the Pantera...usual BS like that..... so the phone rings and its mIkey...

"Hey Dawg its Mike Drew... I am in your area, lets get together and catch up...need to you see you man...."

So the next day we fly  up to a remote construction radar site that I am managing near Khamis Mushat that is really remote (think BFE)...We get there arond 5pm, get squared away, put our gear on a bunk and wonder outside to eat some chow with the guys and enjoy the view from the top of this mountain....okay, more a big hill like you see in Texas then a mountain but it was BIG!

So we're hanging out at the end of the day, weather is beautiful and Mikey asks one of the construction crew what they do for fun when they aren't working and the guy responds they go into town to party.  Everyone knows Saudi is a dry (no booze) country but just like prohibition in the 30's here there is more booze in Saudi behind closed doors then there is at Jake O'Leary's  Bar in New York City.

That night, wind and dust started blowing hard. It was so bad that we only had about 20 feet of visability and we knew we would have to wait out the  storm before any chopper or fixed wing aircraft could make the return flight to take us back to Riyadh.

After 4 days of this Mikey is freaking out. He tells me he has to get back to catch a flight out to Paris, Rome, Barecelona, or some other hardship assignment...as you all know Mikey always has to fly off somewhere.

After 5 days of no relief/resupply Mikey is really starting to get on everyone's nerves....all he wants to talk about is De Tomaso, Pantera's, Vegas, a upcoming story in Profiles and I hate to say it but a couple of my guys tell me I gotta get Mike outta there before one of the Bediuns kill Mike and they don't even speak English because Mike will not stop talking!

On the 6th day, I get up at about 6 am and the weather has finally cleared. It was beautiful!!! Storm was finally over. Sun was coming up and the rest of the crew and I had just grabbed some coffee and breakfast....but there is no Mikey!!!!

We do a head count again and Mikey is missing!!!! Now he has alll of us worried...even the bediuns who have come to love Mikey.   But then one of the guys yells,

"THERE HE IS!"......and sure enough I looked down the hill and there was Mike.  Okay I have to WARN YOU....if you have children standing nearby you might want to escort them out of the room because the next part is X rated....scroll down....

Scroll down some more.....kids and young ladies gone?

Scroll down once more....

Okay, There was Mikey and I swear this is not just another story on the List....there was Mikey standing behind a camel with his pants down to his ankles getting ready to do something unimaginable to that little camel.......To say I was in shock would be an understatement!

Seeing this horror,  one of the bediun laborors screamed,
"NO MR. MIKE....the JAMAL (CAMEL) IS FOR TRANSPORTATION INTO TOWN PLEASE DO NOT BE THAT WAY WITH JAMAL PLEEEAZE"

I can't say what happened next EXCEPT that everyone got kinna quiet when Mikey came back up the hill mumbling something about steering rack repairs or something else really lame. Geez.

You gotta love the kid. Well yea, I know he's no kid no more....but then neither am I ;-( But I have to say this and that is no one does more for our little dysfunctional group, spends more hours on the Profiles or gives more in a unselfish manner then Mike (now LTC) Drew.

P.S. Mikey you can party with Team Pantera Racing ANY DAY

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
www.teampanteraracing.com