[DeTomaso] Spray Gun Recommendation

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 23:18:41 EST 2009

I recently bought a "professional" Husky HVLP gravity-feed spray gun at Home Depot to
spray some steel cabinets. At $60 I thought I might be getting a better quality gun than I'd
find at Harbor Freight, but such was not the case...  The gun leaked paint down the trigger
(usually a sign of a bad or worn seal - but this was a brand new gun!), and the fan pattern
was only 6" wide which made it difficult to get even consistent coverage (I ended up with
some "striping" in the finish).

After reading a number of other automotive forums and paint forums (yeah, they have those
too!) I've settled on a DeVilbiss Finishline 3 HVLP spray gun as the best compromise
between quality and value.

You can buy just the gun for about $100
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/FinishlineIIISpecials13.htm

Or you can get the "Master Kit" which comes with the gun, air pressure regulator, multiple
tips for the various materials you might spray - primer, urethane, lacquer, etc, and a plastic
carrying case for about $220.
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/FinishlineIIIKIT.htm

It's more than I want to spend for a tool I'll only use a couple of times, so I haven't bought it
yet.  Maybe I need to try one of those HF guns next before plunking down the bucks for the DeVilbiss.

Cheers!
Garth