[DeTomaso] Glad my ears still work

Robert Simpson R.Simpson35 at Verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 20:55:04 EST 2009

Hello all,

#3468 my yellow 72 pre-L sits in hibernation until I can have my back
surgery and injury case settled.  The car has been sitting in my garage for
at least three years and was sitting in a garage for at least 10 years in
Minden Nevada.

Anyway, I always make it a point to start the old girl once a month to get
her fluids moving in hopes of preventing bad things.  I hobbled into the
garage and shoe horned my thirty pounds of walnuts into that ten pound bag
called the Pantera.

She was turning over fine, it usually takes a couple pumps and three tries
to fire her up.  On the second attempt I hear what I thought was rain.  Mind
you, we have had severe down pours for the last week but today was sunny.

Thank God I stopped trying to start the car, hearing rain on a sunny day was
my first clue (DUH), something told me to get out and check the car, that's
when the smell of gas slapped me in the face.  I got on all fours and found
a puddle of gas about two feet across, gasoline was dripping from a line
into the carb and who knows where else.  Now I'm standing there like a
seventeen year old at the end of a date that expected carnal knowledge and
only gets a kiss good night.

Funny how your senses can go on full alert when things like that happen, the
water heater sounded like a jet engine as it fired up, LOL, I almost crapped
myself. Gas fumes in the garage, puddle on the floor and the water heater
(bzzzzzzzzzz WOOSH)

Thank God my forty-one year old ears still work, LOL

Bob
Hemet CA