[DeTomaso] Another mirror question - what mirror type is this? Bjoern Flesland bflesland at gmail.com

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 10:01:32 EST 2009

Bjoern,

Those mirrors are from the '79-'83 Dodge Colt.

Colts were small economy cars. Most just came with a manual
driver's mirror. There was an optional set of electric mirrors that added
a passenger side mirror. I do not think there was ever a manual passenger mirror.
Being an economy car, not many were sold with the electric mirror option.

Hall Pantera sold the sets of electric mirrors to hundreds of owners. Some were
properly wired and operate with two normal mirror joy stick controls.

Many were just mounted and left in manual mode.

They mount with glue to the glass, are very close to the body and thus have a limited rear view.
Kirk Evans made, and can still provide, a fiberglass spacer that moves them outboard
another inch or two.

For those with these mirrors wondering if theirs are electric, here's the clue:

If they 'click' when being moved, they are electric. If they just smoothly move, manual.

No vendors have them any longer. They do show up on eBay now and then.
Replacement mirror glass (ONLY) is still available.

I have a functional set on 2511. I have equipped them with a set of Muth Signal
Mirrors (the in-the-mirror LED arrows), after much trial-and-error, and several
'practice' cutting/shaping attempts.

There is a later style of mirror, from a later Dodge (Omni?), that looks much the same.

Larry