[DeTomaso] On the importance of chassis drain holes....

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 02:48:35 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/16/09 6:32:48 PM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> I found quite a bit if crap in mine when I drilled them. Enough to make me
> want to check the metal gauge around the holes. I've got them all cleaned out
> and now I'm thinking if running some rust
> convertor through them.

Every ten years or so this subject comes up. Back when Panteras were still
being found on used-car lots, guys were drilling the frame holes, plugging them
with corks and filling the rails to the top with used motor oil, then pulling
1 cork and let the thing drip-dry before removing all the other corks. Others
rigged up long wands of steel tubing and hosed the rails end-to-end with all
kinds of petroleum goo, then let it drip-dry. I'd say- ANYTHING you pour in is
far better than leaving the rails as received. Except for undercoating or
urethane foam: THAT stuff causes more trouble than leaving the rails naked. On any
cars I get to work on, I first stick a long magnet down in there.... I've
pulled out bolts, washers, the ends of broken spark plugs- I've even found big
rocks that can sometimes be teased back to a grabbing-point. Anything you can
imagine seems to fall in there- and it all is coated with rust. FWIW- J Deryke