[DeTomaso] Fluidyne and Spal fan issue with Mounting fans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 00:12:00 EST 2009

Find another shop. An aluminum Fluidyne radiator welds beautifully without
problems, assuming the welder is experienced with TIG.   I suggest taking it to
a Pantera vendor who's familiar with the system and will have competent
TIG-welders that can do the job without drama. Pantera vendor Dennis Quella in CO
has been successfully modifying these radiators for some years, with his own
aluminum sucker-fan shroud and welded water in/out spigots on the tanks. Other
vendors in CA do much the same. If you're too far away from all the vendors, I'd
expect a local Corvette race-prep shop could do the same, since they've had
stock alloy radiators since the '60s.

Many of us don't use the no-doubt fine Spal fans, but instead use 12"
Flexilite fans (with generic japanese flat motors) mounted in a full sized plastic
shroud that only needs to be loosely held against the radiator backside with
simple hook-brackets. When the engine starts, at least one fan comes on, and that
creates enough suction to pull the gasketed shroud firmly against the
backside of the radiator. With two separate fans of some weight and no shroud to hold
them in position, mounting will be more complicated. Consider replacing the
Spals with a Flexilite and avoid the whole issue. Good luck- J Deryke