[DeTomaso] Straight up.....

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Thu Feb 12 10:36:31 EST 2009

Dear Charlie,

You wrote:

>*****Here's a question for the engine experts. If you car can exhale more
>due to modifying the exhaust, that means it can inhale more.
>

>Would you need to modify carb jetting as a result ? If it's breathing in
>more air with the same quantity of fuel, is there a risk of running lean ?
>

>Or even if that isn't the case, in order to take advantage of the increased
>airflow, would you need to increase jet size to gain the potential hp ?

Those are all good questions. As I understand it, there would be four choices. One: leave it alone. Two: seat of the pants and rule of thumb modifications to the carb & timing. Three: chassis dyno tuning. Four: use of an air-fuel meter (is that right?) a modern contraption that provides some real data about the combustion efficiency via the exhaust gas analysis.

Of those, the chassis dyno would be my choice. Dumb question: are you aware of any chassis dynos in your city in Spain?

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles