[DeTomaso] tire pressure help needed-Jim brings up a GOOD point

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:37:54 EST 2009

Higher pressures in the front FOR ME ONLY are there for ride comfort and
handling, I know that with my hp that I can pretty much correct for any
under steer using my right foot to induce over steer at will.

I found my combination by taking several 90 degree corners ( on track ) at a
speed where I started to feel the front end slide at about the same time as
the rear would start to go ( what one would call four wheel drift in an XKE
), FOR ME, the key was trying to get both ends to want to break loose at the
same time and not one before the other at normal throttle ( smooth input ) (
again, knowing that if I missed that point and the front was going away -
i.e following inertia instead of steering input, that I had the hp to
correct / Save my ass / by stomping on the gas.  the main caveat here being
that if you don't have the hp to correct, you're screwed!

Then balancing that with what feels good when you take the car out for ice
cream with the spousal unit.

I learned the hard way on a rear engined car by looping my 911 a the very
first time I drove it because I wasn't used to having a rear weight basis (
which taught me another lesson, don't assume that you know how to drive
everything because you can drive some things really well ), the 911 requires
an entirely different skill set and feeling for balance, as I recall, I
learned to cut in earlier and use the rear transference of weight as a great
blocking tool, but the line was very, very fine as to when a block became a
slide and any contact with another car in that instance was going to send
you off course BACKWARDS- which if you're going to hit a tire wall is better
than hitting it frontwards ( for the driver anyway ), not so much for the
car.

Michael in Savannah