[DeTomaso] tire pressure help needed

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 01:17:31 EST 2009

 Within reason, more pressure = more grip, better steering response and sharper handling

I experimented with my car when it had 7's and 8's and found that about 3-4 lbs more in the rear was best-- I used to put them up to like 31 front 34 rear and they would slowly lose air over a few months but maintain roughly the same ratio
..
More difference between front and rear increases understeer / makes the car less likely to spin.? Low front tire pressures gives you lousy steering response and worn tire edges.? The brand of tire should not make any difference, assuming you have similarly designed tires on front and rear.

I believe there are some US owners manuals that suggest having more pressure in the FRONT.? I tried that once just to see and scared myself -- definitely not the thing to do.? The very idea of that is idiotic-- you need more pressure on the end of the car with more weight.?

However, the above assumes your tire sizes are not wildly different. People who run 225 fronts and 335 rears have to run lower rear pressures to prevent the center of the tread from wearing early and also to prevent excessive understeer.??

Jim