[DeTomaso] NPC Looking to buy a new digital multimeter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 13:01:43 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/9/09 7:52:32 AM, scottcouchman at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm looking to buy a new digital multimeter with current measurement
> capabilities. I'm thinking about a Fluke 337 or equivalent. Anyone have a
> recommendation?

Good choice. You can quickly determine the quality of a multimeter by
selecting the lowest scale and sticking one probe in a radiator tank so it touches
water, while grounding the other. If you get a reading- likely 30-80 millivolts-
its a good meter. Cheap ones will show zero or only a needle-flicker. What
you're checking is the 'local current' in hard water systems that erodes
aluminum radiators, waterpumps etc. Above about 70 milliamps needs a zinc or
magnesium anode to prevent damage, according to the 'Vette websites. I have an old
Fluke 8024B and two cheapies, and only the Fluke shows a reading (45 mV) on the
Pantera. Good luck- J Deryke