[DeTomaso] FW: RE: original air cleaner

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Fri Feb 6 12:13:14 EST 2009

Hi Mike
There is an air cleaner on ebay (# 140298819654) right now that is the same
as the one I have for my  car. This is the one I called type 2. The Ford
parts book calls this out as the one used from car # 2292 to #4840. You can
see the modifications to the standard Mustang Mach1 351 CobraJet air cleaner
in the photos.

Kirk Evans said he believes there was a type which had a shortened snorkel
pointing about 10 o-clock that came on very early 71s. He said he has only
seen one on a car.

I think maybe the air cleaner he is describing is the same as what I called
a Type 1 air cleaner (Blue top and bottom)? It sounds the same. Those early
71 4V engines had a square bore Motorcraft 4300A from new, and unlike the
later 1971-72 spreadbore carb manifolds, a Holley would bolt right on where
the factory original carb came off. All production Ford program cars appear
to have come with Motorcraft/Autolite carbs though.

In any case, the early push button models may have had something different?
or not.

 The information I posted to the forum is just what I have accumulated in my
curiosity. I won't be surprised if there is some overlaps in car numbers
when the production changed from 4V engines to CJ in 1971 at #2292 and again
when the change occurred between #3756 and #4840 in 1973 to the final Ford
type (probably when the (EGR ...even lower compression) engine came into
use? What I have surmised is the second type of air cleaner with the chrome
lid came with the (open chamber, dual point, 4 bolt main, 4300D spreadbore)
Cobra Jet engine, so around the change, if the car got he CJ, it probably
got the chrome lid air cleaner that Ford sent over with it (after being
modified at DeTomaso. If it got the older 4V engine, then it probably got
the all-blue air cleaner.

Wow
I think I'm getting way too invlolved in Pantera air cleaners!

Barry