[DeTomaso] original air cleaners

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 10:38:43 EST 2009

Just to make things more fun...I have at least one photo from the factory showing pallets of engines and they didn't have air-cleaners.
As far as I could tell, they didn't look prepped either as they still had bell housings and other non-applicable stuff attached.  Kinda interesting.
I think any closed style air cleaner with a snorkel breathing from below the headers would be better than breathing the hot air on top of the
engine.  Have fun.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa..........BBORR in April '09> From: steven.liebenow at att.net> To: detomaso at realbig.com> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:22:39 +0000> Subject: [DeTomaso] original air cleaners> > Before you all run out to the wrecking yards to try and find Ford air cleaners to use as Pantera versions, let me correct Jack a tad.> > Since the Pantera motor was a Mustang/Cougar motor used from 1971 on in those models, they likely received the same air cleaners on them when the shipping pallets arrived in Modena. They are special to those model cars as well! While "based" upon the air cleaners used in thousands of other Ford cars, they have that little vacuum motor for fresh air intake on the side!> > Some of you would recognize this option from the "Q"-code 428 cars of 69 and 70, and the Boss 302's that didn't get shakers. Ford continued this same feature in the 4V equipped Mustangs from 71-73. They are unique in that they have the rest of the vacuum and charcoal vent tubes, and hot air intake stuff, plus that little vacuum operated door on the side. That is what sets them aside from the rest. These were the Q-code air cleaners that were used in these later years. "M" code air cleaners are the plain type used on 2V and 4V engines interchangeably.> > They were used on the Boss, CJ, and HO models of Mustangs and Cougars, making them somewhat valuable to the restorers.> > Now, DeTomaso may have turned the air cleaner around, or moved the air intake snorkel around to face rearward, I don't recall. They also built odd tin shrouds around this "extra" ram air intake too. That is what you saw in the pictures that were linked to the blue ebay car in Novato. That was a stock setup.> > I have also seen some air cleaners that seemed to have two extra shields on them for some reason or another....can't recall.> > Having been modified so much, they would have little or certainly less value to the restorers of the Mustangs etc but for parts to fix theirs.....> > What I would like to see, is some of your European versions of the factory air cleaners!> > Steve> > _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso