[DeTomaso] GT-5 parts - where to find a frog eye head light bucket and handbrake add-on calipers?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 23:34:24 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/4/09 19 36 0, Jesper at Sahlberg.info writes:

> While we are at it my car is also equipped with a hydraulic parking
> brake system and I am also looking to convert it back to the original
> manual / cable driven handbrake calipers that used to be bolted on the
> rear wheel calipers.
>

>>>The GT5 used large three-piston calipers with a smaller, separate parking
brake caliper underneath.   Here's a photo of some freshly reconditioned GT5
brake calipers:

Note that all of them use two small pistons on one side, and a single large
piston on the other.   The calipers on the right incorporate the parking brake
mechanism, which uses a pair of small, square pads that only function when
actuated by the parking brake cable.

Do you still have these rear calipers?   If so, what other pieces of the
system are you missing?   The later (GT5-style) cars had the parking brake
mechanism positioned differently from the early cars, behind the engine instead of in
front of it, on a removable crossmember, and the parking brake handle was on
the driver's side.   So the cables, and the equalizer rod are different from
the early cars.