[DeTomaso] Muscle Cars for sale, parts to follow! Some minor PC

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Tue Feb 3 18:56:46 EST 2009

All,

Recently I was asked to help an old friend with failing health sell off his collection of parts and cars. First to go are the cars, then the parts.  We've found one 351C engine so far, but who know's what we will uncover. Block is buried so deep that we couldn't get any casting numbers yet....sorry!

Long time member of the Fremont Drag Club, the Cougar club, Fairlane club, and also an aviation flight engineer.   One of his claims to fame was being part of the crew on the "other" flight that landed on water with no casualties, back in 1968-9 in the SF Bay!  JAL flight...

Cars for sale:
1969 Talladega: Built to compete with the winged warriors of Petty etc, a lengthened Torino fastback model, with 428CJ automatic, Wimbledon White, original paint, no rust, but some dings and doinks. Unrestored car in very good condition, but keep in mind that all his cars were driven.  Nothing going directly to the museum...unless you like a good amount of patina.  Interior in very clean condition.   Currently has 428CJ with 406 heads and tripower on it.  Original #'s matching engine/heads/intake/air cleaner/smog are included, in the garage along side it on a stand.  time slips from Fremont strip show this was a 12 second car!!!  Still has the factory oil cooler and P/S cooler on it as well! Runs but has an exhaust leak in the headers.  Hood is black, and looks to have been touched up at some point. There are some spare parts that it looks like he was collecting to perhaps make the car better in terms of aluminum trim parts.

1969 428 Cougar Eliminator: 428CJ ram-air automatic, Wimbledon white, black interior.  Also original paint car with no rust.  All hard to find parts are there except for a dash trim part which is reproduced.   Not a numbers matching motor, but it is a 428 CJ/PI from the old CA Highway Patrol inventory!  Apparently when the CHP was cleaning out their inventory of old PI motors, this guy was there buying....so the engine is period correct, but we've not confirmed the date codes yet. Ram-air parts are there, smog parts, all the stuff that normally get's tossed!   Worst thing about car was that someone put a vinyl top on it years ago. Good thing is that it was done over very good paint, and there is NO rust at all, just some small holes that were drilled, not punched, that will need to be attended to. Top is off of the car and glue remains, so pictures will show what appears to be dirt or rust, but it is adhesive.  We didn't have any adhesive remover....but will next trip when we want to get better pictures.

Both of these cars have been driven regularly over time.  I have seen them at Knott's Berry Farm shows, and plenty of local shows around San Jose.  You will also find pictures of these cars running out at Baylands raceway in the old magazines....he was just that sort of a guy!!!

1962 Comet Special station wagon: Original owners!  Was a 6cyl, is now a warmed up 302.  I first saw this car up in Tahoe at a Cougar car show when we were camping in a campgrounds near the lake....up comes rumbling this little white wagon with red/white interior.... I think that's how I got started on my station wagon thing...if you know me and the wagon thing.....    Original paint on this car too!

He also has an 86 SVO Mustang (needs a clutch), Shelby Charger, 87ish Turbo T-bird, and an XR4Ti with a moonroof.  All of these things were turbo motivated.  I guess after he sold his 427 tunnel ported 63 Galaxie convert, and the 69 Boss 429, and the other Talladega, that these 4 bangers were easier to make go faster!!!!  This guy loved his monster motors and cars!

Last but not least, he has a BD-5 airplane kit that is partially assembled settin' in the garage as well.  These are the "James Bond" little kit planes, normally powered, not jet as in the movie.  I believe this to be a "long wing" version as the wings were about as tall as I am.  There may be more than one kit, as claimed by the owner, but we could only see one being assembled, and one spare canopy still in paper. Once we get car parts moved, we will be able to understand more about airplane parts.....

The first three cars above are stored in doors and are out of the weather. The others are outdoors.  They are dusty and need to be cleaned up a tad before we can take mo' better pictures.  We intend to move them around and determine more info, and find out how good they run etc as well, but are basically being sold as is.  They are located outside of Sacramento about a half hour or so.

We know that they were driven to this location from his prior home here in Fremont area, and anticipate no big surprises.  It should be understood that they would best be transported by suitable trailer or hauler and not expected to be driven away at this time. We can't guarantee that....

Then there are parts and more parts....but there are so many that we didn't even bother with trying to start writing.  We did see a 427 Tunnel Port dual quad/dual plane intake, still in the DST box that it shipped from Detroit in.  Carbs carbs and carbs, 429 blocks, 428 PI stuff, heads, exhaust manifolds, Shelby parts, Nascar 429 Boss stuff, wheels, rims, C6 trannies, some toploader stuff, a 10HP industrial steam cleaner, Honda 70 trail bike from WAY back, Johnson outboard motor 70HP I think... a boat of some sort.....smallish no fins...40 hp Johnson I think.

Anyway if you are interested in buying a muscle car that is largely unmolested here is your chance. Original paint cars don't happen along that often. Yes, there are some dings, but nothing is hiding under that paint, unless it happened at the assembly plant!

Email me for pictures and more info.  Will provide it if I can.
Steve