[DeTomaso] header/heads question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 15:49:12 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/3/09 10:07:44 AM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> The engine builder said I should make sure if the headers are raised that
> amount (approximately 1/8"), will there be clearance problems, or will I be OK
> to go with the slightly raised Trick Flow heads.

IMHO, you won't know for-sure until you try the particular mix of parts you
selected IN YOUR CAR. Besides port matching the headers, the clearances
referred to will be the fit of the left side primary pipes to the fuel tank shroud,
and the left primary pipes/collector to the left suspension spring & shock.
When the ports move up, the header also moves up- and out- at a 45 degree angle,
so it begins touching things that were originally OK. It may even affect the
tailpipe angles under the rear bumpers, on some combinations. Unless all the
parts involved were specifically manufactured to fit together as an assembly. In
our Pantera with different raised-port heads, there were both the mentioned
left-side header problems (correctable with some work) but no clearance issues
at all on the right side. Thanks for small blessings.... Once you try bolting
it all together, post your results and our 'database-of-possible-stuff' will
then include another combination for other owners- good or bad. Good luck-   J
Deryke