[DeTomaso] Oil Coolers (again)

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 12:15:22 EST 2009

Here we go again.. . .

If the goal here is to reduce oil temps in a 500+ RWHP engine in an endurance race  make sure you get the big boy Luminova/Aeroquip OR Fluidyne oil cooler  for a race prepared engine and not that little piss ant cop car thing Jack or JT have on their Panteras for show! ;-]>

It may be okay for a street Pantera with moderate 350-400RWHP to run a 20-25 minutes of open track session at Fernley, TWS or Willow Springs or to cruise to Vegas but if you want to run your big boy 500-600RWHP powered Pantera engine above 5,000 R's for more then a few minutes with that kind of engine you better make sure you get the big boy cooler and gears because even with a dry sump its not enough to keep the oil cool. Junior Wilson, Larry Stock, Bob Benson and I all had to go to taller gears.

I liked Mike Anderson's Cessna wind tunnel tests but about all they proved was Mike was NOT ever going fast enough (above 5,000 R's) or long enough at Silver State to need one. I like the idea of a front mounted oil cooler for a race Pantera...and assuming it is big enough it should work with a dry sump system.

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
www.teampanteraracing.com