[DeTomaso] Pure Power Oil Filters

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Dec 30 14:05:36 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/28/09 1:23:11 PM, mikeldrew at aol.com writes:

> $200 buys a LOT of cheap filters, and even buys a lot of very
> high-quality Ford FL-1HP heavy duty
> racing filters.   Realistically (not theoretically), what actual advantage
> does this $200 wonder really offer?

Good question. I see 2.0 advantages; the primary is being able to check the
kind and amount of debris caught by the filter without cutting the filter
case in two for examination- and you cannot use a hacksaw to cut it up 'cause
that dumps metal sawdust in the mix. Racers routinely examine the debris
for various metals to detect a failing engine before they need to sweep up the
smoking pile that used to be their motor. If you don't routinely examine
your filter debris, the only other advantage is saving a trip to the parts
store for a fresh filter each time you change oil. I have yet to see tests that
show ANY oil filter that's markedly superior to another, at least on street
engines. My 2¢- J DeRyke