[DeTomaso] Torquing head studs/nuts Re: Another Grenade Job - (sorry long)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Dec 29 13:08:21 EST 2009

Okay, so Will used all head studs and presumably nuts on them torqued to
spec.  However, in an earlier post, he also mentioned how it seemed like
those on the exhaust port side were not as tight when he went to
disassemble the head.  So here are my questions.

Is there a different torque procedure that should be used with regard to
studs versus bolts?
Is there a difference in how to install the stud that could possibly
make them loosen up versus the torque on the nut?
Is it a good practice to go back and re-torque the nuts on the studs at
some interval?

I'm curious as I had thought of going the stud route at some point and
am worried by Will's finding.

Thank you,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired