[DeTomaso] Another Grenade Job - (sorry long)

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 28 14:42:54 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/27/09 10:01:10 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I see studs installed at the top but nothing at the bottom.  If this is
> the case, I'm wondering what others may think about:- using a combination of
> studs and bolts
> - using all studs and what the re-torque procedure on them should be.

If your engine used a torque plate during final honing AND you used both
studs and bolts then as during assembly, I see nothing wrong except for the
complication this brings- changing sockets etc. Studs will distort the
cylinder walls differently than bolts when tightened, which is why you should not
torque-plate-hone with one combination, then switch to another for use.
Re-torquing should be the same although some say that one should bring the torque
level up in 4 stages of only 25-30 ft-lbs in each stage -not necessarily
with studs or bolts but with iron heads to prevent cracking. I also like
composite head gaskets which are more forgiving in torquing and in use than steel
shim head gaskets. But none of this will cause broken rods. What brand of
rod failed, Will? Curious- J Deryke