[DeTomaso] Hydraulic jack oil level???

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 27 23:09:15 EST 2009

Yes.  Be careful.

The outside of the piston is the reservoir.  When you extend the piston,
fluid goes from the reservoir to the inside cylinder, which is pressurized.

If you fill it with the piston extended, and then compress the piston, fluid
overfills the reservoir.  It might pop the plug out and shoot hydraulic
fluid in your face.  Ask me sometime how hydraulic fluid tastes.

After I screwed up a couple of times, I searched the internet, and found a
site that explains it pretty well.  http://www.hyjacks.com/H7.HTM

You are supposed to compress the piston, pop out the plug that on the side -
not at the base.  Fill it with hydraulic fluid to about the level of the
plug, and then replace the plug.  It's that easy.

  _____