[DeTomaso] Valve Height accuracy

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 01:10:44 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/25/09 9:14:58 PM, doug at silicondesigns.com writes:

> What say ye for valve spring height accuracy?  The Comp Cams catalog
> calls for a 1.900" spring height for the beehive springs I'm using.  I measured
> the valve spring heights on a pair of heads that had been professionally
> prepared just to double check them.  I get a range of 1.853" to 1.872".  A
> 0.047" error on the worst one seems high to me.  How close is good enough.

Doug, it's not exactly the spring height that's important, its the spring
pressure on the valve as-installed. Your cam card will tell you what load the
springs should produce with certain heights to prevent valve float, and
your mechanic will add spring-shims under the springs to adjust the load (up to
a point). Most brand new springs will install at one pressure then drop
somewhat within a week, then hold that pressure for a long time. Perfectionists
run the springs until the initial drop-off, then tear a few off and check
their load vs the height & re-shim all of them as req'd. FWIW- J DeRyke