[DeTomaso] Windshield wipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 18:18:29 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/24/09 1:54:45 PM, mdmcdougal at gmail.com writes:

> I have my windshield wiper drive apart and soaking in degreaser.  What is
> the best grease to use on it ?  It was all working, but kinda slow and
> stiff.  (go for it Larry)  Anything else to look out for with this small
> project ?

Waterproof chassis grease, but I'd try scraping all the old rock-hard
grease out first before soaking and re-packing.
The actual drive is a wire-wound cable like a large speedo cable, and the
spiral windings are used as a sort of tooth so the cable becomes a flexible
rack-gear. Over time (30+ years!) the windings wear against the harder wiper
gears, but by unclamping the cable ends and rotating it 180 degrees, new
sharp-edged 'teeth' appear and magically the wipers work like new again.
I've also found that the multi-pin connector near the motor collects water
and corrosion which affects operation. Use Radio Shack spray Contact Cleaner
after unplugging the halves and evicting all the spiders..... Good luck- J
Deryke