[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Brace question

hemipanter at hemipanter.se hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Wed Dec 23 10:19:21 EST 2009

> There are 2 main forces on the bars. One coming from suspension
> compression pressing up on the spring/shock. The second being side
> loads. These are the main 2 loads being dealt with.

I'll should try to explain my point of view here.

I never care  very much about side loads comming in from A-arms. The lower
front A-arm joint to the frame is heavily triangulated by the frame as is,
so what is left for this matter is som tiny X-bracing of the rear part,
under the gearbox, of the subframe.

The loads from the upper A-arm is negligible.

If the frame should be flexing sideways some 0,01", it would only be
matter for not creating those disturbing paint cracks.

The torsional load over the shock mountings is another story, since every
movement-flex here will steal from damper function. Furthermore, the
greatest loads are those comming from the schock absorbers which is by far
greater than sideloads from A-arms. (If not hitting curbes or other
impacts). So, the torsional loads is the only place where we have
expensive equipment (the shock absorbers) to take care of movements and
forces in the chassis.
Shock manufacturer spend big bucks trying to handle hysteresis within the
shocks. So, the torsional loads is the only place where we have expensive
equipment (the shock absorbers) to take care of movements and forces in
the chassis. Shock manufacturer spend big bucks trying to handle for
example hystereses within the shocks, and a flexing chassis will destroy
these functions. Just to mention one bad side of torsional flex.
Regards

Goran