[DeTomaso] License Plates

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 23 01:32:13 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/22/09 22 10 29, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Does this Modena front plate sport your cars license plate number?
>
>>>I was extremely geeky when producing my plate.   I managed to find an
Italian license plate collector site that explained the ins and outs of
Italian plates.   From that, I was able to determine the approximate number range
for Modena plates from mid-1972 to mid-1973.   A plate issued in Modena on 7
March 1972 is 265023, and on 7 Feb 1973 is 290024.   So that means that a
summer issue would start with 27 or 28, so that's what I chose.   I then
followed that with 3960, my VIN, just because. :>)

> >If yes, then is it legal as that was my worry when I looked at the site
for a period (1966) correct NV plate for the GT40?

>>>No, a replica plate from another place isn't legal, even if it has the
same characters as your real plate.

> >Also by adding a front plate don't you screw it for the rest of us that
argue to the cop that there's no place for a front plate to be fitted to the
pantera? In NV there's a little known bylaw that if there was no license
plate mounting from new then you can carry the front plate under the passenger
seat, which I do along with a printed copy of said bylaw :>)

>>>My excuse is that I have Oklahoma plates on my car, and Oklahoma ONLY
issues a single, rear plate. :>)

Italian Panteras wore their tiny front plates centered, down low.   Check
out the entry in the registry of Guy Trigaux' Italian '75 Euro GTS #7446:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNPM07446/RTHPNPM0
7446.asp

His car came from Catania (CT); I chose to make my plate from Modena (MO).

BTW, in the photo of his hangar, the Ferrari F40 is a customer's car, but
the Pantera GTS, Maserati Ghibli, Fiat 2300, Yak trainer, and John Deere
tractor are all his. :>)

Not pictured is his factory Gr4 car #2860....