[DeTomaso] Webers - update

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 14:19:20 EST 2009

A half-dozen tips that may come in handy:
1- Funny noises from Webers may just be the I.R. pulses you aren't used to.
Read your plugs during a nice hard run and rejet the mains accordingly for
larger venturis.

2- Do NOT use any type of foam air cleaners on Webers! The pulses in the IR
manifolds carry fuel up as well as down, the foam soaks it up and with the
slightest pop, you'll have a carb fire. Worse, in a carb fire, the aux
venturis that stick up are die-cast zinc and melt at low temperatures. The molten
metal runs down the intake into the cylinder and in the next engine cycle,
a piston contacts the now-solid metal and cracks its top ring land. I had to
overhaul an engine due to this! Webers do not have true chokes; instead
they have a fuel- enrichment circuit, so its real easy to go lean during
warm-ups & get pops or backfires.

3- The absolute best Weber tuning book is Bob Tomlinson's 'Weber Tech
Manual' for VW & Porsche engines. Next is Haynes 'Weber Carburetors owners
workshop manual'.

4- Do not use cheap fuel pressure regulators on a set of Webers; they will
run lean if you do. A stock Ford mechanical fuel pump works just fine on
four hungry carbs without regulation.

5- In a Weber there are five (5) separate tuning circuits and they all
interact with each other to some extent. Each barrel has 5 jets and two air
bleeds plus an emulsion tube and venturi; all are tuneable, and if you get
really good at it or do it on a dyno, you may find some cylinders take slightly
different jets even when airflows are perfectly balanced. The last time I
checked, the cheapest jets were around $5 each and its really easy to
accumulate hundreds of dollars in no-longer-needed jets. So to tune Webers, I solder
up the jets and hand-drill them with metric drills until the tune is close,
then I buy new jets only in the size the drilling indicates. One cannot
drill jets and get the same fuel flow that a correctly bored & honed jet gives
but this gets you close and cuts down on buying jets during the initial
tuning phase. MSC in New York <www.mscdirect.com> sells metric drills cheap on a
onesy-twosy basis by mail-order.

6- The most common problem with Webers is either no power and 20 mpg or
lots of power and 12 mpg, all due to poor tuning. You'll know you're close when
the engine response is different on cool cloudy days vs warm sunny days....
Good luck, Will- J Deryke