[DeTomaso] Webers - update

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 02:20:38 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/21/09 23 12 19, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I plan on having the car painted in January.  When I do, the engine will
> come out.  At that time, I'll take it apart to make sure all is well.

Remember that Weber carbs have demands very unique from a conventional
four-barrel setup.   Among other things, the camshaft needs to be optimized to
have enough of a vacuum signal for each carb throat to work properly.   Weber
cams feature unusually wide lobe separation (115 degrees for example) to
accomodate this.

If you have a typical four-barrel rumpity-rump camshaft with a tight lobe
center (my Pantera cam is 108 degrees I think, my Cobra is 108 and my Mustang
is 109), your Webers probably won't be happy.   If you intend to keep the
Webers, you should install a Weber-friendly cam while the motor is out.
Here's one example of a hydraulic roller, made by Comp Cams for Inglese:

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&
Store_Code=IN&Product_Code=32-490-9&Category_Code=FordCam