[DeTomaso] roll cage or roll bar

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 21 02:09:44 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 2:58:19 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I am thinking about adding a roll cage or roll bar. I don't want to pull
> my engine and transmission to install a complete roll cage.....

You don't need to mess with the engine & ZF but assuredly the entire
interior will need to come out. There are roll-bar/roll-cage rules, you know; most
open track organizers follow SCCA's guidelines. They specify wall thickness
of the pipe to be used (a suicidal racer actually installed one made of
lightweight exhaust tubing- which would protect about like those giant thinwall
'show-bars' on jacked-up pickup trucks that never leave the blacktop).
There must be an accessible drilled hole near the bottom of the main hoop for
visual inspection of wall thickness. 'Course if you'll never run a track event
and are just concerned about going sky/ground, you can construct whatever
you wish. An anti-rollover vent valve on the fuel tank is a real good $35
investment, too. But the SCCA Rule Book has some good guidelines. Just a
thought- J DeRyke