[DeTomaso] roll cage or roll bar

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 20:57:45 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 17 53 28, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> I thought there was discussion and photos on the PI board on this one, but
> cannot seem to find the thread at present. I do recall that it required
> either moving the fuel tank or a custom fuel tank fabrication.

It also requires notching the covers over the gas tank and water bottles.
I think there's enough wiggle room for the gas tank to be moved out of the
way without needing to do much more than some light malletizing to the front
edge--and maybe not even that.   Dennis Quella has one of these engine-bay
roll bars in his Gr4 project car that has been nothing but a bare shell for
the past 20 years or so and will never be finished. :<(

Having said that, I think the hoop would be too far aft to do much good for
the driver.   Although it would probably do a dynamite job of protecting
your air cleaner, that seems to be rather missing the point of a roll bar. :>)