[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Brace question

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 12:11:39 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/20/09 8 46 54, tomdiiulio at gmail.com writes:

> Have to chime in here with a side comment..
> With a stock 351, your orig brakes are inadequate for road course
> events. With the hp you're forecasting, your brakes become a safety
> issue and likely cause for future body work.
> Upgrade your brakes now 'cause after a few spirited laps, you'll want
> more.

A good point, with qualifications.   The stock system IS adequate for
*moderate* track use, as long as the pads are changed for high-quality modern
pads, the fluid is fresh, and the calipers and master cylinder are in proper
order (by no means a given).   Braided stainless steel flex lines are a very
worthwhile improvement.

This is all that you need to safely drive your car on a track at moderate
velocities, especially if you're running ordinary street tires, which can
only transmit so much force to the brakes before they start to slide.   As your
skills improve, eventually your brakes will prove to be a limiting factor,
and then you'll either have to decide to modulate your speed accordingly, or
crack open your wallet and step up to some serious brakes.

But it's an exaggeration to say that (modified) stock-style brakes are
wholly inadequate and will inevitably lead to tears.

Having said that, when I was having my Pantera restored, I delayed doing
anything significant to the engine, but while the car was apart, I felt it was
a wise thing to upgrade the brake system with a complete Wilwood-based
package from Pantera Performance Center, and I haven't regretted that decision
for a moment.   I have been able to run my car for as long as 1 hour and 15
minutes straight on a racetrack, braking as hard as possible lap after lap
(to the point of inducing tire slide), without the slightest bit of brake
fade.   That would never be possible with a modified stock brake system.