[DeTomaso] oil injector question

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Dec 18 13:26:13 EST 2009

I use a Canton Racing two-quart oil accumulator with an electric
shut-off valve on my Mach I.

When the key is off, the valve is closed and holds pressurized oil in
the accumulator.  When I turn the key to the ON position, it opens the
valve and pressurized oil flows into the engine via two locations: the
port near the fuel pump at the front of the block, and the oil
pressure sending port at the back.  Once I get an indication of oil
pressure on the gauge, I -then- crank the engine to start.

Some folks use a dedicated pre-lube electric pump that does the same
thing.  It's just another piece to try and make the engine last
longer.  The thing that really kills engines is folks who start them
up and start revving them right away before the oil pump has a change
to circulate any oil.

In addition, there are certain additives usually found in sythentics
that help impregnate the friction surfaces to cold starts aren't as
damaging.

Worth investigating?  I think spending an hour or two looking into it
is worth it.

Asa Jay