[DeTomaso] Pure Power Oil Filters High Performance Motor Oil

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 13:06:00 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/18/09 10 02 30, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Just wondering what is in the oil that actually plugs up (uses up?) an
> oil filter?  I think that the older oils oxidized and produced gunk that the
> filters caught.  With modern synthetic oil, I wonder is the filters ever
> come close to being "used up"?  From many reports, bearing wear etc. is
> insignificant with a good synthetic oil.

Probably true.   The biggest threat is probably chucks of RTV that can
break off when its used overmuch (some people insist on throwing away the front
and back seals for the intake manifold and instead using a huge glob of RTV,
which is an open invitation to this sort of thing IMHO).

I think it would take a profound amount of debris to 'plug up' an oil
filter, but changing them periodically (every other or every third oil change for
instance) is probably still a good idea.