[DeTomaso] oil filter recommendations

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 11:57:43 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/17/09 8 10 31, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Motorcraft also has an upper level
> brand for high performance use FL1HP, I think about 13.00 each, most
> dealers
> can get it in a couple of days, I also try to look for filters that DO NOT
> have a bypass valve, one more thing that can screw up and cause damage.

Can't have it both ways unfortunately; the FL1HP does have the bypass
valve.   I've never heard of one failing on a genuine Ford filter though.

Here's the link from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-FL1HP/

Of course Summit also charges $11.95 for shipping.   I buy these filters in
bulk, both so that I have some on hand for my Fords various, and also to
supply Eurodudes from time to time, and that takes the sting out of the
shipping charge.   I have also purchased them from my local Ford dealer when I had
one (the guy was a crook and one day the feds swooped down, confiscated his
entire inventory, and hauled him off to jail; he and several other people
from the dealership are now doing long sentences for various fraud-type
charges).   When I got them from the dealer, I was able to do the Jedi Mind
Trick, and get them to lower the price to match the Summit price just by bringing
in a printout of the Summit page above.

Generally, they are like the standard Motorcraft filter (the FL1) but these
are the 'high performance' version, with a stronger, heavier case.   I
don't know what (if any) internal differences there are.