[DeTomaso] "Shock" technology

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 16 16:24:36 EST 2009

Richard, in reference to your questions in your memo shown below, first
if you don't want to use all the functions available to tailor shock
performance profiles, you can set the shocks to whatever
compression/rebound you want depending on the ride and/or performance
you desire.  The shocks can be adjusted from the softest to hardest ride
settings you desire, each setup saved as one of 5 unique setups which
can be recalled instantaneously.

As far as what happens with the shock if you loose power, it retains the
last settings characteristics due to magnetic hysteresis.

Keep in mind, my Pantera was used as a test vehicle to see how fast an
experienced race car driver could "tune the car in".  When I took the
car to the Vegas get together several years ago, my partner in the
Shadrach Mustang project, Mike Langston, who owned and drove for his
ARCA race team for 7 years, worked with Dick Anderson to see how fast
they could "tune in" the car when we ran it at Pahrump.

It took less than two laps to dial the shocks in, with Mike telling
Dick, as they went around the track, how he wanted to improve the
handling and Dick making the changes as they went around the track.
Pretty incredible.

With Anderson's 3rd generation software, the user now has the capability
to change many additional shock attribute variables, other than
compression/rebound.  Anderson's MagneShock is the only shock on the
market with the extensive list of shock variables that the end user can
adjust, dynamically while underway (assuming you have someone riding
with you to input the data).

It also is the easiest to install system, given that all the sensors are
built into the shock itself, with one cable running from each shock to
the controller.  All of the other users of the damping fluid technology
do not incorporate the majority of the sensors internally in their
shock, such as Delphi.

To give you an idea of the damping fluid technology used in the shock,
the following summary should prove helpful.  Additional information can
be found on the web.

Magneto-Rheological (MR) technology enables new levels of performance in
automotive primary suspension systems by replacing traditional hydraulic
fluid in each shock absorber. As sensors monitor road and vehicle
conditions, a controller modifies the damping characteristics up to one
thousand times per second. This enables dramatic improvements in both
ride comfort and handling.

See http://www.magneshocks.com/techinfo.htm for a summary on how MR
fluids work.

Many current line auto manufacturers use the MR technology in their high
performance vehicles, such as the Delphi's MagneRide^(TM) system.  The
Delphi system incorporates MR fluid to provide real-time optimization of
suspension damping characteristics. A MR fluid base shock is incredibly
flexible.  That is why it is used to improve the driving characteristics
of any vehicle, from high-end sports cars, to sedans and SUVs.

The technology has been around for awhile and is now used in many late
model vehicles.  As an example, Delphi's MR shock was first introduced
in the 2002 model year. Their system now appears on more than a dozen
models from a wide variety of OEMs, including:

    * Acura MDX
    * Audi TT
    * Audi R8
    * Buick Lucerne
    * Cadillac DTS
    * Cadillac SLR
    * Cadillac SRX
    * Cadillac STS
    * Chevrolet Corvette
    * Ferrari 599GTB
    * Holden HSV Commodore

    Some of the MR Technology Advantages are:

_*Unparalleled performance*_. The controllable MR damping technology
outperforms all existing passive and active suspension systems.

_*Unequaled shock and vibration control*_. MR systems offer unsurpassed
effectiveness in precise, real-time control of mechanical systems,
resulting in an unequaled ride experience.  MR-based suspensions are a
"no-compromise" suspension solution that provides both firm cornering
and superior isolation from road shocks and vibrations.

_*Fewer moving parts*, *less manufacturing complexity*_. Delphi's
MagneRide shocks with MR fluid have fewer moving parts than conventional
controllable shocks --- 60 percent fewer parts than valve-based
semi-active damper systems.

_*Low power consumption*_. MR suspension systems typically require very
little power. In the MagneRide system, peak power is 20 watts at each of
the system's four dampers.

_*Durability-tested and approved*_. MR technology has surpassed all
automotive durability testing for primary suspension shocks and is
endorsed by two leading component manufacturers. The durability of this
technology is further validated by more than five years of production
and billions of incident-free road miles in Class 8 vehicle seat
suspensions.

Richard, one thing to keep in mind - Dick Anderson's MagneShock is
intended for the serious competitor that is looking to gain an edge on
their competition.  The installation on my Pantera was and is as a test
vehicle for the shocks.

Dick Koch - Atlanta