[DeTomaso] Ignition Switch Bypass

Forest Majors oldveloce at comcast.net
Mon Dec 14 17:13:47 EST 2009

I have to confirm both Bill's and Patrick's assessment of Jon Hass
electronic components that have been designed specifically for our Pantera
electronics. Having installed wiring kits like Painless Kits in dedicated
race cars and hot rods I can speak from experience that they serve that
purpose well. However, they make less sense for a Pantera when you have
components that have been designed specifically for the Pantera that
actually fit where the original components are located. When someone like
Ken Green asked if we have had experience installing the Painless fuse box
it seems to me that it is appropriate to share our experience with superior
alternatives - based on our experience - even if it does not answer the
original question.

I can attest that at this time, Jon Hass clearly has the best electrical
components that you can use for your Pantera. I have installed converted
Nissan fuse boxes, Ricks relay kits, Corley's do it yourself kit and relay
systems built from scratch to fit inside the original relay box. Nothing
compares with the detail and design of Jon's components. As Patrick states,
there is nothing wrong with the wire used in the Pantera - wire is wire.
With the proper components you can lower the load on the smaller gauge wire
used in the turn signal assembly and the light switches and best of all, you
don't end up with a lot of pig tailed wires with Jon's components. The
original wire connections just match up...

So Ken, do yourself a favor. Get a refund on your relay kit unless you
really want to spend the time running all new wire on your car and
relocating the panel on your Pantera. If you are building a dedicated race
car then it might be worth your time - But if you are updating a street
Pantera then you are better off using Hass designed components. Sometimes
the answers that you get on this list are better than the questions asked!

Forest Majors - Still Hanging in Hadlyme