[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 65, Issue 9- Broken Half Shafts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 14:08:27 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/11/09 6:15:28 AM,rcbensons1 at aol.com writes:

> Dennis Quella told me years ago that some of the Pikes Peak racers that
> he builds ZF gearboxes for (using unlimited V8-powered buggies) use the
> stock Pantera driveshafts because they're so good.  He said that they push them
> so hard that they literally twist, like a licorice stick. The racers just
> pull them off and flip them so the torque is applied in the opposite
> direction, and on the next run, they un-twist back to their original shape!

I have a pair in my shop from an owner who though drag racing was a good
idea. The tubes and u-joints are fine but the splines in the slip-joints are
twisted, enough so they stick when sliding in & out. Never thought to put
them back in backwards! Maybe the old parts are salvageable after all. Thanks-
J Deryke