[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 65, Issue 9- Broken Half Shafts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 02:08:06 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/10/09 1:54:36 PM, RCBSONS1 at aol.com writes:

> When I talked to Byers about one of their big block conversions he said
> one of the first guys hammered it and after going over the railroad tracks
> both shafts broke
>
> At a recent autocross one of the Corvette drivers hit an area that
> lightened the car and when he came down with power on the shaft broke...
>
> The weight on and off broke these shafts.. I know both were fairly new

Interesting, Bob. So you're saying the actual shafts broke, not the CV
joints? In   CV joint halfshafts, the slip-joint is usually deleted and the
shafts themselves are small diameter solid steel bars. Cardan u-joints as in a
Pantera are almost always attached to halfshafts made of large diameter
hollow steel tubing. The very late Panteras may be unique in that their CV joints
were attached to the same appearing hollow steel tube halfshafts with
different yokes on the ends. Cheers- J Deryke