[DeTomaso] JFE brakes ? Brembo brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 01:06:36 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/10/09 9 06 38, patrickhals at skynet.be writes:

> Did anyone hear about a calipers manufacturers by the name of JFE ?
>
>>>Not JFE--JFZ.   These were competitors to Wilwood, and are almost
identical (they share the same pads in fact).   JFZ went out of business and a new
company was formed in Carson City, Nevada, called Sierra Brakes.   Sierra
just bought all the JFZ tooling and kept on producing the same products.
They have since moved on and are making more modern, billet aluminum calipers,
but I think the pistons/seals etc. are the same as the old ones.

> Those brakes ( good looking GR4 style calipers and rotors) are on my 4208
> car. I assume these were installed on the car in the early 90's , when the
> car was racing in GR3 trim in the USA.  I am looking for spares to have
> them
> rebuilt ( gaskets, pistons, ...) .
>
>>>Hall Pantera sold the JFZ calipers.   I'm sure you can get everything
you need for them from Sierra:

http://sierraracing.com/

> My brake shop is desperately looking for spares, and he has apparently
> located a dealer in the USA, who seems not to answer, despite repeated
> attempts.
> Initially, it seems that JFE was an Australian manufacturer, who was
> bought
> over by a US company, and then ??? mystery.
>
>>>I don't know the history of the JFZ company.   But they are no
mystery--parts are easily obtained for them from any good racer supply shop, and
certainly from Sierra.

> Also, has anyone converted a Pantera with ventilated Brembo floating
> disks
> and calipers ( on 15 or 16" wheels ) ? Ventilated Brembo brakes ( similar
> Porsche 930 Turbo ) are FIA approved , and they most probably are better
> than original factory GR4 Girling and Lockheed brakes !
>
>>>The subsequent posts you've read are talking about 1990s-2000s Porsche
Brembo brakes.   The brakes you're talking about are much older.   Jack
DeRyke has very old Porsche 911 calipers on his Pantera, but they aren't nearly
as macho as the Porsche 917/911RS calipers that you're talking about.   Those
calipers are very expensive, and there are so many better options out there
(for those of us who are not restricted by the rules) that nobody has
bothered with them.

> ...Preparing Le Mans Classic 2010 with Candy 2862 more actively than ever
> before :>))

calipers that will work any better than the ones you have now.   They only
advantage they might have is lighter weight, as your calipers are cast iron.   I
wouldn't bother messing around with it--yours ain't broke, so don't waste too
much time trying to fix them. :>)