[DeTomaso] U-joints

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 10:14:52 EST 2009

<<<If you look for u-joints without drillings for grease fittings,
they will theoretically be a little bit stronger than those hollowed
out for a zerk fitting. But then, you have to periodically disassemble
them to grease them.>>>

I replaced all four u-joints last winter.

Discussed this very issue with the driveline shop owner.  I live in
the middle of Farm Basket USA, and he says this style of u-joint lasts
for years and years of use on hard-used farm and processing equipment.
He said for my application he would use the solid body u-joints with
no zerk fitting.

He based this on considering how many miles the  car is used - I told
him 4,000-6,000 annually - and he said he had no doubts the u-joints
would serve very well for ten years at that usage. As the Dawg would
say, most of you slackers don't even come close to my annual mileage
in three or four or five years, so they would be a lifetime install
for many Panteras. He said the rubber cap gaskets on that style were
firmer and would not allow oozing or loss of grease, they were well
lubricated by Spicer and not to worry.

No annual greasing, no grease flinging all around the engine bay.

YMMV

Larry - In the 69 months of available driving time during my ownership
of 2511,  I've put 35,990 miles on the                  odometer - an
average of over 500 miles each month.