[DeTomaso] Vehicle Speed Sender

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Wed Dec 9 03:24:23 EST 2009

JDeRyke at aol.com skrev:
> In a message dated 12/8/09 10:05:52 PM, SOBill at aol.com writes:
>
>> Ford Part number 7 151 113 (BWD #S8382) is a Hall effect speed sender
>> which will mate with the ZF speedo adapter and cable. It Requires  +12
>> volts on
>> the Black/Brown wire, Chassis Ground on the Brown wire, and  the +9.5 to 0
>> volt square wave output is on the Yellow/Brown wire at 8 pulses/rev
>> (~8,000
>> pulses/mile). No external components are required for the sensor.
>>

> Bill, I apparently missed the first part of this thread. is that what
> DeTomaso used on the last Pantera Si's? 'Cause the '96 we saw at the factory had
> what appeared to be a stock angle-drive feeding some sort of wire-device
> that presumably was hooked to a similar device on a stock-appearing Pantera
> speedometer. Was never brave enough to ask the factory price of the adaption to
> earlier cars.... Curious- J DeRyke

I believe the Si:s have electronic speedos, but I seriously doubt that
they have connected the sensor to the EFI, which would have been reasonable.

Not even the guaras had the speed sensor connected to the EFI, which
makes them stall frequently.

Apparently the factory thought that the waveform of the VSS signal to
the EFI was important, it isn't. I adapted a similar VDO sensor to my
Ford EFI with just three resistors, and I did the same with Kjell
Janssons guara.

Btw, isn't the signal wire of that Ford sensor just an open collector
output? Thus the voltage will be 0 to whatever you pull it to with a
resistor. In my case I pull it to +5V so that the EFI sees a 0 - 5V
square wave.

Thomas