[DeTomaso] Half Shaft Safety Hoop

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 14:47:26 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/8/09 2:46:32 AM, hemipanter at hemipanter.se writes:

> I never had a failure with U-joint myself but I have seen the result from
> it several times on other cars. I wonder what makes them break???

As you say, I've also not broken a u-joint, and my Spicers are smaller than
stock u-joints. But continuing to drive a Pantera with a failed u-joint
will eventually snap the failed end of the cross from constant inpact, and
thats when the real damage starts.
First, owners don't notice the fatal   'black ring' around the top of a
failing joint where a seized cap is spinning in the yoke under the snap-ring.
This motion makes a black ring on the top of the cap. Adding DeTomaso logo
cap-covers over this area does not allow this fatal sign to be seen, which is
why I don't recommend this cosmetic addition even for show cars.
The seond bad sign sign is the 'red ring' that appears around the base of a
failing end, which is rust from destroyed needle bearings. Sure, you'll get
your finger dirty in checking for red dust, but washing your hands is far
easier than replacing the damage a broken joint causes. Once a bad joint
progresses past the red ring stage, snapping an end off can happen any time.
I've found a few on cars that drove into our Tech sessions and the owners "had
no idea"... FWIW- J Deryke