[DeTomaso] Half Shaft Safety Hoop

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Mon Dec 7 23:04:31 EST 2009

Not sure how many of you have had a half shafts break, but both of mine did at one point of the cars life. Both of mine broke at the inboard universal which can do quite a bit of damage depending on the speed when they break.  On the inboard half shaft they keep flailing around until the cars stops. If you break an outboard universal all you do is put the clutch in and all the beating stops. Many dragstrip cars have drive shaft hoops so if they break a universal they don't have drive shaft flailing around, it is contained in a steel loop.

Since my wheel house repair is almost complete, I'm thinking about putting a half shaft safety hoop of some sort to contain the half shafts is they break again.  Has anyone else done something similar?

Best regards,

Tom