[DeTomaso] Edelbrock Water Pump

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Dec 7 22:26:49 EST 2009

Hi all,

Mike Thomas was gracious enough to send me some photos of the new
Edelbrock Victor Aluminum water pump with backing plate impeller.  This
is a sweet looking pump and you can see photos of it here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=3238

Some notes regarding our observations between the FlowKooler and the
Edelbrock:
- The FlowKooler rivited backing plate with extra fins protrudes from
the mating surface of the pump.  This causes FlowKooler to recommend
using -two- gaskets.
- The Edelbrock impeller is recessed and would require no additional gasket.
- The Edelbrock impeller is larger in diameter and takes up nearly all
the space up to the edge of the casting.
- The FlowKooler impeller is much smaller in diameter.
- The FlowKooler has a cast-in fitting for one of the heater hoses.
- The Edelbrock contains two threaded fittings, allowing the user to
choose what they want to do.

So for those of you who know fluid dynamics, can you elaborate on which
design you feel is better.  Is the larger diameter impeller better or
worse.  We didn't do a blade count on the impeller, could the number of
blades have an affect?

Overall, I think I like the looks of the Edelbrock better than the
FlowKooler.  Opinions?

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie