[DeTomaso] Site Redirect Computer help NPC

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 7 20:05:05 EST 2009

That's not entirely accurate.

MACs are implemented on a UNIX kernel (Linux - whatever).  UNIX is much more secure than Windows.  Yes, viruses exists for UNIX.  They're harder to write though, and even harder to transmit to other computers.

Don't you think hackers would try to break into UNIX if it were as easy as on Windows?  UNIX is used for the bulk of the business processing in the world.  If hackers could get into your bank computer, for example, they could transfer funds to their own accounts instead of trying to trick you into giving up your password - or whatever.

It is true that PCs outnumber MACs, so naturally it makes more sense to target PCs, but it's also true that UNIX servers outnumber PCs.  I've counted them.  ;-)

It's also true that 90% of all statistics are made up.

It's also also true that I agree with your "message".  PCs are targeted because they comprise the bulk of the desktop servers.  I just disagree that it's the only reason.  I've been in I.T. for over 20 years.  I haven't witnessed a single case of a professional multi-user system being hacked - VMS, UNIX (several flavors), MVS, etc.  Like everyone else, I see Windows hacked pretty much every year - even though nearly every desktop is running virus scanning software.

When Lucas retired, he went to work for Microsoft.