[DeTomaso] How many threads needed for lug nut engagement?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 15:52:11 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/7/09 11:31:47 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> That seems reasonable.  Are most people buying long lug nut studs when
> they buy aluminum wheels from the vendors?

There are two different types of wheels made. One is centered off the
suspension hub (as stock) and the other is centered off the lug nut shanks. The
hub-centered type seems more precise. Biggest problem with Panteras is, the
wheel studs are special hardened thin-head ones not commercially available in
a variety of lengths. So if you buy hub-centered wheels with thick flanges,
you're sort of on your own. I usually mill the flanges down to standard
Pantera thickness and shrink-fit a hub-centering ring in the wheel's center.
Then stock studs and nuts fit. Steel inserts for conical-seat lug-nuts to seat
on is not mandatory.
Lug-centered wheels with long shank nuts are much harder to work with IMHO
and I avoid dealing with them whenever possible. Those are the long lug-nuts
you're speaking of. Generally, the wheel type will dictate the type of lug
nut. Good luck, Kenn- J Deryke