[DeTomaso] Number of USA GTS cars produced is 150.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 20:41:55 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/5/09 16 41 22, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> I call on Mike Drew to please comment and correct me if I am wrong (like
> just where the
> number 98 came from, or
>
> why California cars got re-titled as earlier model-year cars)
>

> .and how many USA-GTS cars Mike believes were produced.

Years ago, Bill Milburn sent me a listing of US GTS serial numbers and
BSNs; I wish I knew what happened to that.   He had concrete proof of the
existence of 150 US-model GTS Panteras, because he had more than 100 of them.   I
think his highest BSN was 148 or something like that.

My recollection of what he told me was that the incorrect number often
bandied about (98) was for 49-state cars; there were a further 52
California-spec cars (many/most/all which were titled as 1973 models to get around DMV
hassles, supposedly?).

When I first got into the Pantera scene, a US-market GTS carried about a
$5K price premium over an identical-condition Pantera (i.e. a normal Pantera
was $30-35K while a GTS was $35-40K).   The mystique over the GTS has since
died off, and now they carry virtually no premium at all from what I can see.